- This event has passed.
License to Carry (LTC) Part 1 of 3 – 12/02/2019
December 2 @ 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM$66
LTC 1 CLASS Description:
Cost of class: $66
Prerequisite Course(s): None.
This is for experienced shooters only! This is a special 3 part class. The LTC Class is NOT a training class. The LTC Class has a required shooting qualification where you must demonstrate your proficiency. Students are expected to have basic gun-handling skills and the ability to clear malfunctions. Firearm safety must be demonstrated at all times.
The License to Carry (LTC) class, formerly known as Concealed Handgun License (CHL), requires operating and shooting a handgun in a safe and proficient manner. LTC (CHL) does NOT cover the basic procedures of operating/firing a handgun. If you do not feel confident in your ability to properly shoot a handgun, consider attending a Basic Handgun course or a Private Instruction Session before attending the LTC (CHL) class. We will quickly build your level of confidence and proficiency to prepare you for the LTC (CHL) class. We have divided up this one day course into 3 individual classes in the evening to blend with your schedule.
The LTC(CHL) curriculum will cover everything you need to know about the laws and regulations of carrying a concealed handgun. You are also required to have your LTC (CHL) for open carry. In the course we will cover not just the state laws, but also Federal prohibitions. The class will cover other information and have time for Q&A.
This class is Part 1 of 3 and will cover your registration, your responsibilities & laws applicable to Texas LTC Holders. Additionally, you will be briefed on handgun safety that includes a written pre-test, DPS course of fire and handgun proficiency demonstration. You will be taught DPS LTC material that covers handgun use and safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods of to ensure the secure carrying of openly carried handguns. Part 1 of 3 finishes up with proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child.
Check Your Eligibility
To qualify for a Texas LTC you must:
- Be at least 21 years old. (Members of the armed forces must be at least 18.)
- Have a clean criminal history, including military service and recent juvenile records.
- Not be under a protective order.
- Not be chemically dependent.
- Not be delinquent in paying fines, fees, child support, etc.
- Be of sound mind.
- Be eligible to purchase a handgun by completing the NICS check.
- Complete required training.
If you have questions concerning your eligibility, you may contact the DPS Regulatory Services Division (RSD) helpline at (512) 424-7293 or contact them via their website at www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/
The handgun range is located outside at a different location about a 15 minute drive from the classroom. The classroom portion is located inside. So please dress for the weather on the day of class.
Tuition Does Not Include:
- Fingerprints; Follow the instructions at the end of the application process for the fingerprint process
- Passport Photos (no longer required if you request on your application that your current Texas drivers’ license photo be used)
- Ammunition (75 Rounds Minimum)
- State of Texas LTC Application Fees
- Handgun rental, unless otherwise listed in a special class. If needed, handguns may be rented at the range. Rental handgun requires range-provided ammunition. Please get here a little early if you need to rent a gun so you have time to pick one out.