License to Carry (LTC) Class 10/22/2019
October 22 @ 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM$125
TX DPS Approved LTC CLASS Description:
This is for experienced shooters only! The LTC Class is NOT a training class. The LTC Class has a required shooting qualification where you must demonstrate your proficiency. Students are expected to have basic gun-handling skills and the ability to clear malfunctions. Firearm safety must be demonstrated at all times.
The License to Carry (LTC) class, formerly known as Concealed Handgun License (CHL), requires operating and shooting a handgun in a safe and proficient manner. LTC (CHL) does NOT cover the basic procedures of operating/firing a handgun. If you do not feel confident in your ability to properly shoot a handgun, consider attending a Basic Handgun course or a Private Instruction Session before attending the LTC (CHL) class. We will quickly build your level of confidence and proficiency to prepare you for the LTC (CHL) class.
The LTC(CHL) curriculum will cover everything you need to know about the laws and regulations of carrying a concealed handgun. You are also required to have your LTC (CHL) for open carry. In the course we will cover not just the state laws, but also Federal prohibitions. The class will cover other information and have time for Q&A.
You will also be required to demonstrate your shooting ability through a qualification course of fire. The firing test is standard. Texas DPS requires an original (first-time) LTC applicant to complete four to six hours of classroom training, pass a written examination and pass a proficiency demonstration (shooting). LTC Instructors at Crosshairs Texas are certified and approved by DPS to provide this course. Upon successful completion of the training class, the instructor will provide you with a Certificate (Form-100). This form must be submitted to DPS to complete your application for the LTC License. The Texas LTC class does not teach you how to use a handgun — it only tests handgun proficiency with a timed shooting test. Our course will provide you an evaluation of your skills based on a verbal assessment.
Check Your Eligibility
To qualify for a Texas LTC you must:
- Be at least 21 years old. (Members of the armed forces must be at least 18.)
- Have a clean criminal history, including military service and recent juvenile records.
- Not be under a protective order.
- Not be chemically dependent.
- Not be delinquent in paying fines, fees, child support, etc.
- Be of sound mind.
- Be eligible to purchase a handgun by completing the NICS check.
- Complete required training.
If you have questions concerning your eligibility, you may contact the DPS Regulatory Services Division (RSD) helpline at (512) 424-7293 or contact them via their website at www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/
Handgun LTC Requirements
- There is no minimum caliber to legally carry as long as it is a legal pistol. We require at the minimum a .22 caliber pistol to qualify.
- There is no longer a classification of concealed handgun license. If you qualify with a revolver you can carry a semi-automatic.
- All handguns will be inspected by instructors for the safety of the shooter, instructors, and other students. Unsafe handguns will not be allowed for the shooting proficiency test.
- Any student not following safe gun handling procedures on the range or in the classroom will be ask to leave the classroom and range. NO REFUNDS for safety violations.
Come range ready with:
Semi-automatic handgun or a revolver** (unloaded and in a box) of at least .22 caliber in good repair and have no modifications that will make the handgun less safe. STUDENTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO BRING WEAPON or AMMUNITION into the CLASSROOM. LEAVE IT IN YOUR VEHICLE.
- Baseball Cap
- Safety Glasses Can Be Provided
- Covered Ear Protection can Be Provided
- Footwear that covers both entire feet
- One box of 50 round ammunition
NO RELOADED HANDLOADED or SURPLUS AMMUNITION ALLOWED. Use commercial ammunition only.
Range Qualification Test Requirements (as dictated by the TxDPS)
- Total of 50 rounds fired at a B-27 target (45″ high x 24″ wide)
- Score of 175 out of 250 possible points (70 percentile) required to pass
- Shooting stance from the ready position where firearm is already in a position to fire
Optical enhancers such as lasers, red dot sites or scopes are not permitted by Texas DPS administrative code when qualifying.
Following step by step directions from the range officer, students’ progress through each stage starting from the 3 yard line, moving back to the 7 yard line and finally to the 15 yard line.
- All shots are fired on a B-27 target.
- Targets will be green, red, black or blue.
- Hits inside the 8, 9, 10, and X rings are 5 points.
- Hits inside the 7 ring are 4 points.
- Hits on the silhouette outside the 7 ring are 3 points.
- Hits outside of the shaded silhouette are 0.
- Hits that miss the target entirely are 0.
- Rounds not fired due to expired time / malfunction are 0.
TX CHL/Open Carry Course of Fire:
Stage1: Twenty (20) shots will be fired from 3 yards.
- Five (5) shots fired in a “One shot exercise” 2 seconds allowed for each shot
- Ten (10) shots fired in a “Two shot exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each 2 shot sequence
- Five (5) shots fired in 10 seconds
Stage2: Twenty (20) shots will be fired from 7 yards – fired 5 stages.
- Five (5) shots will be fired in 10 seconds
- Five (5) shots will be fired in 2 stages
- Two (2) shots will be fired in 4 seconds
- Three (3) shots will be fired in 6 seconds
- Five (5) will be fired in a “One shot exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each shot
- Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds
Stage 3: Ten (10) shots fired from 15 yards – fired in two 5-shot strings
- Five (5) shots fired in two stages
- Two (2) shots fired in 6 seconds
- Three (3) shots fired in 9 seconds
- Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds
The handgun range is located outside at a different location about a 15 minute drive from the classroom. The classroom portion is located inside. So please dress for the weather on the day of class.
Tuition Does Not Include:
- Fingerprints; Follow the instructions at the end of the application process for the fingerprint process
- Passport Photos (no longer required if you request on your application that your current Texas drivers’ license photo be used)
- Ammunition (75 Rounds Minimum)
- State of Texas LTC Application Fees
- Handgun rental, unless otherwise listed in a special class. If needed, handguns may be rented at the range. Rental handgun requires range-provided ammunition. Please get here a little early if you need to rent a gun so you have time to pick one out.